Race 1: 4-7-6
(4) Valiant Reason makes her 2nd start off the layoff and is eligible to improve today after being bumped at the break before going wide last time out. Trainer Michael Matz is 15% 2nd time off the layoff.
(7) Resonate is the horse that we will be cheering on as she goes out for Firehouse Racing Stables and our buddy Ryan Dickey. Resonate will make her 3rd start off the break for trainer Tim Glyshaw and is eligible to improve after running a solid 2nd last time out (ahead of top pick Valiant Reason).
(6) Fashion Envy makes her first start on the dirt dropping to a career low claiming level. She attracts the services of Corey Lanerie for trainer Brendan Walsh.
Race 2: 8-3-1-6
This isn’t a race I feel particularly strong about, but I feel that the (8) Jemrose is the most likely winner in this claiming even. However, this is a race that it would be wise to spread at least a few deep if you are betting any horizontal wagers.
Race 3: 5-4-7
(5) Stage Left is one of two entrants that go our for trainer Wesley Ward and we will give this one a slight edge first time out in this baby race off of her sharp last workout.
(4) Abyssinian is the other Ward horse, and the likely favorite in the race. This two year old filly will take on the boys in her debut, but also displays a solid work tab leading up to this race.
(7) Inda Zone didn’t run half bad when finishing 3rd in his debut 11 days ago and could be tighter today having experience under his belt. Best of the rest.
Race 4: 9-2-7-5
(9) Sweet Ella returns to the turf after spending the winter on the polytrack at Turfway Park and should appreciate the switch in surface and the added ground in this event. She will be stepping up in class today, but should be a square price for those backing her.
(2) Shezaprado drops in class after running in consecutive stakes races down at Gulfstream Park. Last time out in the Soaring Softly she managed to earn a 103 Bris number while finishing 3rd. The distance shouldn’t be a problem and Mike Maker looks to have her ready based on recent works.
(7) Bengala will make her stateside debut after facing tough company in Europe last season, including multiple Grade 1 winner Enable. While she wasn’t necessarily competitive with the competition she faced over seas this will represent a huge drop in class for trainer Christophe Clement who is typically good with this type of move.
(5) Lovin Empire also goes out for Mike Maker shipping up from Gulfstream Park off a solid victory last time out. Look for this one to be sitting off the pace early.
Race 5: 1-5-8
(1) Prom Theme runs at the same level she did last time out when 2nd going shorter. She should like the extra half furlong today and should be tough if she repeats her last effort (91 Bris).
(5) Vacanzie Inn ran 4th in the same race as our top pick last time out and was more prominent from the start before weakening late. Vacanzie Inn should be sharper today in her 2nd start back on conventional dirt after spending the winter on Turfway’s synthetic surface.
(8) What What What is the morning line favorite shipping in from Oaklawn Park and going 1st after the claim for trainer Ingrid Mason (26%). She steps up in class from her previous race, but had faced better competition in the past including running in a pair of graded stakes races last spring.
Race 6: 2-4-3-7
(2) Dot Matrix ships in from the Fair Grounds where he has been in career best for going 3-2-1-0 in 4 starts while improving his Bris figures in each race (90-92-96). I can see him taking another step forward here for trainer Brad Cox.
(4) Profiteer has been facing tough competition down in Gulfstream Park finishing 3rd last time out to talented Frostmourne and 2nd before that to graded stakes winner Ring Weekend. This one is a must use on any tickets as he holds a class edge over this field, but will need to run his A race in what is a tough allowance level field.
(3) Bondurant was 4th behind Profiteer last time out and should be forwardly placed in this event. He has every right to improve 2nd time off the layoff for Ian Wilkes.
(7)Space Mountain returns off a November layoff and will look for his 3rd straight win. This isn’t an easy race to make his comeback in, but he is capable of hitting the board in here.
Race 7: 5-1-9
(5) Campioni ships in from the Fair Grounds after beating cheaper in his most recent start. He should appreciate the stretch out to 9 furlongs today.
(1) All Up in Lights has run strong figures recently and drops in class today off a 10 month layoff. Could be the one to beat if ready 1st time back.
(9) Something Bird also ships in from the Fair Grounds and will be going turf to dirt but has run races that make him competitive with this field.
Race 8: 5-1-8
(5) Brielle’s Appeal makes her 2nd start of the year after crushing a field gate to wire last time out at the Fair Grounds. She looms as the strong choice in the Wednesday finale.
(1) May Lily also ships up from the Fair Grounds after finishing 2nd in her most recent start after winning her two prior races. She should appreciate the speed in the race, but will have to work out a good trip late.
(8) Golden Amber like our top two picks is also returning from the Fair Grounds after winning her last race. She should be stalking off Brielle’s Appeal early on in this turf sprint event.
Good luck with your handicapping and betting today ladies and gentlemen. If you have any questions or comments feel free to contact me on twitter @JasonNYM.