(1) Driven by Thunder has good early foot in a race that seems devoid of early pace. Gets a lot of class relief and seems tough in this spot. (7) Honor Thy Father had a tough trip last out. Hit the gate at the start and was wide the entire trip. Willing to give him another chance at a good price. (6) Guick Should be on the lead early. If he clears this field he will be tough to catch. Chased a really hot pace last out and was done early. Pace should me more to his liking this time around.
(9) Telecommunication has been working well on the turf course lately. Brad Cox is nearly 30% with a horse first out on the turf. Geroux is in the irons and has been riding much better lately after a dreadful start to the meet. (2) Oroscopo has been working up a storm lately. Has a good turf pedigree for his first time out over the surface. (10) Maraud has a couple good works over the turf course and should run well for Pletcher at first asking. If playing any multi race wager I suggest spreading heavily. Race is very wide open.
(3) Bluegrass Jamboree should be very tough in this spot. Got shut off out of the gate last out and still ran on well after being rushed up. Should appreciate the cutback to 6 furlongs here. (7) Never Hungover raced extremely wide throughout her last race. Still finished with some run and will appreciate the 6 furlongs she will get Saturday. (9) Frosty Gal takes a bit of a class drop out of the Stallion Stakes for Tagg. Has been working well and consistently off the bit of the layoff. Should sit a good trip and be rolling home late.
(5) Slim Shadey is a vulnerable favorite. Got a great setup last out with a very hot pace to close into. This pace should be relatively slow and I don’t see him with the same closing kick. (7) Dancetrack takes a drop in class out of good optional claiming races. Should get a good trip just in behind the speed. (11) Turbo Street is also taking a drop in class. Has good tactical speed in a race that doesn’t have any early pace. Might find himself on the lead early by default. Will be tough in this spot. (1) Indebted is a very consistent horse that runs his race every time out. He will sit mid pack and finish full of run. Does his best work at this distance and will be a good price.
(8) J.S Choice was wide throughout last race and still came flying down the lane. Has a lot of back class that should carry him through this spot. Pletchers numbers 2nd off a 45-90 day minor layoff are very good. (3)Funtastic looked very impressive breaking his maiden last out. Chad and Jose are always tough on short priced horses. Should sit a dream trip just in behind the front runners and get first run on the deep closers. (1) Lunaire ran up against Frostmoure last out at Delaware Park. If you cross that race out he fits perfectly in this spot. Should be a generous price and will be full of run late. Has been working well and should fire back at his preferred distance of a mile
(6) Bourbon Resolution ran up against a monster in Mojovation who absolutely freaked last out. Should like the minor stretch out to 7f Saturday. (5) Slot Steadied at the top of the lane last out and still finished full of run. Pletcher clips them off at 31% for 2nd start maidens. (9) Lionite also exits the race vs Mojovation last out. Ran well despite chasing the winner all the way around. Assmusen numbers aren’t great 2nd asking for maidens but Lionite should still run well.
(4) Always a Suspect was 6 wide for most of the race and still only lost by a half length last out at the same condition. Is 1-1 at the distance that was an eight length romp. Kiaran is 26% 2nd off a 45-180 day layoff. (6) Gift Box is a very classy horse and if he is fit off the layoff from November he will be extremely tough. I’ve always been a fan of this horse and this should set himself up for bigger things down the road. This seems like a prep so I am hesitant to put on top. (1) Still Krz has good tactical speed and should sit just off the pace. There is a lot of early foot in this race and it could comprise him late if he gets too close.
(5) Browse looks to be forwardly placed in a race that has absolutely no pace in it. If he isn’t on the outright lead he will be just off the 9. (4) Create a Dream is off a bit of a layoff but has been working well. Chad’s numbers off a 180+ layoff are over 23%. If he fires, which I think he will, he will be very tough. (6) Thais comes over from France and has been racing against good company. Has just 4 works since June so I’m not sure how fit he will be first out in North America but his class could carry him to a good finish.
(9) Rocketry fires his best shot every time out. 2 back he got bumped hard late and still ran on. Jose is in the irons and will sit a good trip to upset the favorites here. Should be close to that 6-1 morning line and is worth a wager across the board at anything over 4-1. (4) Bricks and Mortar is undefeated and is likely to be a very short price. I’m not sure the stretch out is what he wants and that gives me pause in here. (2) Yoshida ran better than it looks two back in the Belmont Derby only beaten 4 lengths. The distance shouldn’t be a problem and will fire his best effort Saturday.
Really disappointing to see only a 5 horse field in this grade 1 on closing weekend of Saratoga. Looks like a two horse race on paper between the (1) Seperationofpowers and (4) Pure Silver. They seem to be much the class of the field. I will take Jose and Chad on the 1 as She did everything in hand and really wasn’t asked to run and still destroyed the field.
(2) Gunn Runner looks as loose as he wants. He’s the best horse in the race and has a clear pace advantage in this spot. I am not going to try and beat him. I am against the (3) Rally Cry in this spot. Every time he steps up in competition he fires a dud. I will try and beat him underneath with the (1) Neolithic. Has a lot of back class and is second off the layoff. He was 3rd in the World Cup and Second in the Pegasus. He will appreciate the distance.
(7) Sarandia comes out of the Grade 1 Diana and looks tough in this spot. Was off slow but ran well late and could be too classy for these horses. Should sit closer to the pace in this one as there isn’t a ton of early foot. (3) Summersault will get first run on the deep closers and sit an absolute dream trip. Paco is an aggressive rider and will have this horse up close to a paceless race. His speed figures are on par or better than everyone in this race. Is a generous 8-1 on the morning line. (4) War Flag exits a good Grade 3 from Monmouth and is third off the layoff for Shug. He is an old school trainer and will have her ready to fire here.
Late Pick 4 Play Starting in Race 9:
I don’t foresee a massive payout if Gun Runner wins but I will want to play a ticket and have it multiple times to juice up the winnings:
Saver ticket beating using Neolithic and GR: